Friday, January 15, 2016

Escape from New York



Escape from New York is a cult favorite- one of those movies where certain fans know all the lines. Set in the year 1997 it's a bit dated but in spite of that it has a lot to offer.  Kurt Russell plays Snake Plissken, a criminal being sent into the New York maximum security facility- the whole city is a giant prison. Once you go in, you don't come out. Okay we're never told why Manhattan would be turned into a prison, although New York City was a different place- maybe it didn't seem so implausible then.  



This was a dystopian before dystopians were cool. Snake is offered a deal- the President of the United States crashed in NYC and the government will pardon him if he can get the President out. Snake agrees, since he's going in anyway- but there's a catch. He is injected with micro capsules that will explode in 24 hours, so if he doesn't come out- boom. Snake's not happy with this turn of events, but it's not long before he's running for his life from the crazies that live in the subways. He soon learns where the President is and from there it's a race against time to get him out.  Oh, and he meets an old friend and make some questionable allies as well. 



One of the best things about this movie is the music. It's moody and atmospheric, and combined with the fact that the movie takes place entirely at night, it sets a certain tone. Escape from New York is  a cult classic for a reason, and Kurt Russell is awesome as Snake Plissken.  

Here's the main theme from the movie.  



And here's the opening.


5 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I remember that movie from back in the day. I don't recall much, but I do remember it. Have a wonderful weekend, Greg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that movie a few years ago, and I liked it! Like you said, dystopian before dystopians were cool.


    Majanka @ I Heart Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I remember watching this when I was kid. It was a lot of fun. I might have to do a re-watch soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I remember watching this a when I was a kid and being really impressed with his eyepatch. Good times :)

    --Sharry
    xalwaysdreamx.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby and I like these classics. Kurt Russel did a great job as Snake.
    How about Logan's Run? That is one we watched many times.

    ReplyDelete